7.15.2008

Three R's

When I was in 7th grade, I remember this worksheet from Science class that really annoyed me. It was about recycling and finding ways to reuse everyday trash. Each item had a piece of trash and then a blank, to write down a creative way to reuse it. Okay, so some items might have been paper towel roll, empty soda bottle, shoe box, dirty kleenex, etc. Okay, I'm kidding about the kleenex, but still. One of the items was an empty juice box. Yes, I remember this because it bugged me. Anyway, I asked my friends what they were writing down for that one -- I was stumped, because seriously -- who saves a juice box?! I probably made up something, like deciding to use it as a toy. I should have challenged my teacher, but I was one of those nice kids who just finished the assignment, no questions asked. I'm all for reusing things, but at some point, it just turns into clutter. And there's no need for that. Instead of trying to figure out to reuse 30 empty juice boxes -- stop buying juice boxes. Instead, buy a larger container of juice and fill up reusable bottles instead. Take the large container and recycle that. End of story.

You know, I'm wondering if I should have named this blog Green Peach instead of Preppy Peach. I'm sure I'll have something preppy to say eventually, but I've become so aware of living green lately. It's all of the little stuff that gets easily missed, and yet, it's all of the little stuff that can make a difference. At the gym, there are rolls of paper towels to wipe the machines down after use. We usually take our own towel, but I'll notice empty paper towel rolls sometimes. Plastic cups, too. Umm...I've been taking them when I see them and then I add them to my recycling pile in the kitchen. Is that weird?

1 comment:

Lynsey said...

I think "Preppy" works fine, since it seems like "green" is a preppy thing to do these days! I like the new blog -- it gives you a chance to write with a voice that's different from your LJ voice!